Translate

Thursday, January 29, 2009

FINALLY!!!!

So I know I wrote two days ago, but I have stuff to write again, so I will before I forget! Yesterday was a crazy day of learning for me. In class we talked about public health and went to the LA County Department of Health and
spent some time learning there. Then Mia from Community Health Councils, Inc. came and talked to us about what her organization is doing to promote health is South Los Angeles. We learned even more about injustices down there. You see, South LA has a stigma for having a bunch of unhealthy fat people. But if their only options for food are gross grocery stores that even sell stuff passed the expiration dates, overpriced convenience stores with limited options (and still expired goods), and fast food, of course they are going to be unhealthy. Right now CHC is getting ready to release a bunch of dirt on the grocers who've turned their backs on the area. They tried to be nice, but Ralph's just didn't want to comply. All CHC asked was that Ralph's care as much about the stores in South LA as they do for all others. And CHC warned them that they had plenty of information. But Kroeger's (the company that owns Ralph's and Food4Less) didn't care. Most of us students were outraged at this.
I got to thinking about it as Mia was leaving that it would be a great internship place. So I called her after class and set up an interview for today. After that, I left for Azusa! I took the Gold Line, which is actually pretty efficient, and Meredith picked me up. I ate dinner with Allie and Carolyn, went to Starbucks with Kelsey, Brian and Amber, and then had a few minutes to catch my breath before the AC group interview. It was so good to hang out with those people again. I got to share a little bit of what I am learning, which is good for me in processing the whole thing.
The group interview was amazing. I had a ton of fun, and everyone applying is great. The final team that is picked is going to be phenomenal. For real. We find out on Monday. And I'll either get it, or I won't. Either that's where God wants me, or it's not. I'll be okay either way,but I'd really like to be an AC. If not, I'll just apply to be a returner. They aren't getting rid of me that easily! Plus, I'm not done with Alpha yet. I know I want to be involved in some aspect. After the interview, I was able to go to Kaleo and worship with voices all around me. I got to see my Emily and Pickolas and Cody and my alpha students, Meredith, Milton, and maria! (Wow, I just realized I saw all the Ms at the same time!) Woody talked about loving our neighbor, as in the parable of the good Samaritan. I thought a lot about South LA. Afterwards, I saw another Alphie (Sara) and Kari and Melissa. And BAILEY, my RA, who did a dance when he saw me. Except it wasn't cuz he saw me, it was because I told him we were dancing. But it was still funny. It was so good to everyone, if only for a brief moment.
Today, I had my interview for CHC, and I think I may be interning there. I'm really excited. I'll be researching to see if there are any policies existing that deal with the sell of expired goods, and if not, I get to be a part of developing a proposal, I think. And I get to help set up the big symposium, where CHC is going to release all their information. I'm so excited. I call her tomorrow to let her know my decision, but I'm pretty set there, especially since South Central LAMP was a bummer and CHIRLA never called me back. I did call Inner City Law Center, but if I can't get an interview today, I won't go there. I was supposed to have this a week ago. I've realized I love South LA. People there are hilarious. I was walking down the street and smiled my usual greeting at the the guy I was sharing the sidewalk with and he was like "OOH! Little Red Riding Hood! Ain't choo cute wit cho.." and I didn't catch the rest of it.But then he shouted his number to me. I just laughed, because really, that's all you can do. And now I'm done. :)
Prayerness: Praise God I've gotten an internship pretty much set up. I feel like He just had to guide me to where He wanted me. Keep in mind, I find out about AC on Monday. Prayer for that would be appreciated! Thank God for the return of joy. But you can pray that I stop being lazy about homework and start finishing before I go to bed so that I don't have to wake up at 4:30. I have to admit, that is a bit of a drag. Oh! Pray for Nayeli (I have no idea if that's how you spell it), Juanita's niece who's in the hospital. And that's about it at the moment, I think.
Love love!
Tracy


PS. Friends and family are encouraged to come visit us and to even attend class with us to see what we're learning! ;)

No comments: