Translate

Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Crap.

So yesterday I went for my first day solo at Maranata. I led a devotional on the many names of God. It wasn't bad, and they even told me they never knew he had so many. After that, one of the women I just met told me a little about herself and how she came to be at Maranata. Then I showed them some pictures (I had my computer for the devotional thing) and they showed me around their house. I spent about an hour and a half with them, give or take 10 or 15 minutes (I have no idea what time it was when I arrived), then met with Elvira who is going to be my supervisor. We agreed that I would come again with Andrea on Thursday and then next Monday, I would help her out with some administrative work.

The problem is, I left Maranata yesterday after 2 hours. And it'll probably be about the same on Thursday. If you know math (or even if you don't), that's 4 hours. I need about 10 hours a week.

So I emailed my advisor. The good news? It's only a minimum of 75 hours that I need. The bad news? Hanging out with them doesn't count for squat. "The service needs to be meaningful labor (something a staff person might do) that fits the mission of the organization and that is supervised (and evaluated at both mid-term and final pts) by a national staff person (often the director). Devotional teaching can qualify, though merely “hanging out” doesn’t (even though it’s important in building rapport)."


Well crap. Now what am I going to do? I think a staff person would spend time with the residents. And that's what they need from me right now. Devotionals and personal time. (Not to mention the little activity things once I start them up.) But it doesn't count?? And further, how do I get 10 hours a week when I can barely get 4 with hanging out as part of them?? 


Also, how supervised do I have to be? They are too busy to sit and watch me. That's why I took over devotionals. To help them out. 




This is not boding well, and it worries me. Greatly.

No comments: