Translate

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

2/3

I'm just gonna start off by saying that I'm really sad no one gave me any feedback on my question about homeless people. I started importing my blog onto Facebook in hopes that some people would dialogue with me about what I'm learning. It seemed to work well (unintentionally) for that 25 things note. But I will keep writing in hopes that I am not simply telling you about my life here, but that I am challenging you as well with some of the things I'm learning.
Friday, we had an amazing discussion in class about liberalism vs. fundemetalism in theology that turned into liberalism vs. conservativism in politics. It was good to know I'm not alone in trying to sort all this out. The most memorable point, though, was made in saying that our loyalties lie with the gospel. We follow what Jesus did and said to do. And all this came waaaaay before any stupid political party. We also used the narrow road as imagery for us in that we walk a fine line with liberal on one side and conservative on the other. We do not have to accept all the policies of one political party and are free to choose which ideas we want to support. But yea, I don't know if that made sense to you, but it made so much sense for me. Friday night, I went over to Brianna and Bethel's, along with a few other LA Term students, and we watched the movie Snatch. It was interesting to say the least. It's probably bad when we all laugh at the irony of death. Or is it? We don't have anything to be afraid of.
Saturday, Lydia and I were supposed to go hang out with most of the LA Termers, but decided we needed a day to spend some time together, so we watched Changeling (good movie!) in the morning with Erika and her friend and then headed off to Hollywood for some thrift store shopping! After that, we ate at a pizzaria. So good. I hadn't eaten pizza in who knows how long! When we got home, there were SO many family members at the house! We talked for a little and then went to do homework. And THEN I realized that I had left my purchases at the pizzaria. So I frantically searched for that pizza place that started with an E on Melrose. Luckily, I found it, and so had the guy who was working, so he had it for me to go pick up. Woot!
Sunday, we opted not to go to church, but we each spent time in the Word and then had our own worship time. Then we spent the day with all the family who was there. And another thing that was really cool was that the two girls who stayed at Juanita's last semester came over for a while. It was good to talk to them and see how they are doing now and adapting to life outside the urban setting. We alo asked them what they wished they did more of, which ended up being simply to take advantage of our location. I realized I've never been to the art district, Little Tokyo, Little Ethiopia, and probably a bunch more! So I have to make some plans for that! But back to my day. It turns out, there were three family birthdays on Sunday! Rosita, who is Juanita's sister, turned 51, Filiberto, the baby who is often at our house because Nayeli is sick (Nayeli's baby) turned 1, and Juan Carlitos turned 3. He is just about THE cutest little kid. Oh my goodness. At around 8, we went over to Juanita's sister's house to celebrate with Juan Carlitos and Rosita. I had actaully been craving cheesecake earlier, so it was pretty marvelous when they brought some out! But the cake for little Juan Carlos was soooo good, too! Whipped frosting and marshmellows and cherries. I ate too many sweets though; I felt pretty awful afterwards. Then homework and bed.
Yesterday was Monday. We spent way too long listening to her explain what we read, because, after all, we already read it! But after lunch, we got to go to a day laborer site. We got to hear a little bit about the center and their fight to make sure all day laborers get no less than 10$ an hour. One of the men, Antonio, told us his story. Most of the guys were from Guatemala, but a few were there, also, from Honduras. We found out that, with the economy so bad (and it will probably only get worse), the men only get to work about 4 days a month. If they're lucky. Most were only able to work closer to 2. Afterwards, we got a chance to talk to some of the guys. Brianna and I talked to one for a little while. I took a chance and asked him if there were any men there who didn't have papers. He said there were probably 4 or 6. Well, that's what I thought he said at first. Then I realized he said that there were probably 4 or 6 WITH papers. And there were close to 200 men on the block. Maybe he was talking about out of the 50 or so that were standing there. But still. Wow. The majority are trying to end money back to their families, but are having a hard time even keeping a life for themselves. They wait at Home Depot from 6 in the morning until someimte in the afternoon, I don't remember when. It's funny how people complain about illegal aliens, but none of them actually know one. It's so different when those people suddenly have faces and voices and needs. It becomes personal. I still don't think they should come illegally, but they're here. And they are people, too. After school, I spent 2 hours just trying to go pick up the clothing I left at Enzo's (the pizzaria, which has pretty good pizza, if you ask me!). Then Lydia and I just read MLKJ at the center, waiting for 5:30, when we left to go to Immanuel Presbyterian for their free yoga classes. It was interesting. Relaxing, yet taxing. (Like my rhyme?) I found I have a real problem with tension in my shoulders. The instructor kept having to come correct that for me. After yoga, Lydia and I went home, ate dinner, and watched Slumdog Millionaire. We'd been waiting to see it for a while. I thought it was really good and really unique. I had no idea it was a love story. But it wasn't JUST a love story; it opened eyes to many realities/injustices that poor people face, not just in India, but all over the world. I liked it. Last night I woke up at 3:30. I think it was becaused I realized what I was dreaming. I don't really remember now, but I know there were a lot of brown people. Mostly children. I have the feeling, they were being treated unjustly, so I tried to figure out who I was dreaming about. It could have been day laborers from Guatemala (I don't know why, but I keep thinking these people were Salvadorean), they could have been the children of the slums of India. I realized that what I am learning is now affecting me not only in my conscious state, but my unconscious as well. I don't know if the internalization is a good thing or a bad thing. On one hand, it's becoming a part of me and I'll never be the same. But at the same time, is it bad if I cannot separate myself? Or is that a good thing; after all, as Christians, we are supposed to feel the hurts of our brothers as well. I don't know. Feedback? :)
On my way to work today, I was thinking that I want to help whoever it was in my dream, but how could I if they were everywhere?And I thought about the fact that my goal has been to serve the Toba Indians of Argentina. And I realized they were brown, too. The people in my dream could have been my Tobas. Oh yea, and the other day, I was looking for the website that Christy and Jonathan told us they used in the class where we set up our Global Learning Term. I don't think I found it, but I didnt find a number of opporunities for internships in Argentina, some of which include learning to teach English as a second language. I'm getting really excited for that next year. It'll be incredible.
But yes. Here is the prayer request part. I don't have anything specific, but I would love to know how I can pray for you. So please email me, message me, whatever. I have been neglecting that a lot. It's not that I haven't done it, I just have not known what I can pray for specifically.
You truly are dear to my heart.
Tracy

1 comment:

k_retep said...

snach=horrible movie.