Translate

Friday, April 6, 2012

Good Things Come to Those who Wait

So I need to write another post so you all know I'm not depressed and so I can share the great things that have been happening around here!

First off, since Friendship Camp, my past student that I mentioned along with 2 of my most recent students have shown more and more interest in God. All 3 came to our cell group last Sunday and it was SUCH a blessed time. It was probably the best cell group we've had in a while. One of the older cell members has come 4 times since I met her, and she often monopolized conversation with her questions and worries and problems. But this time, she offered to explain why the 3 new-comers could not take communion with us.. and then it turned into a really long presentation of the Gospel and her testimony and comparing Christianity with Buddhism. This former Buddhist lesbian women was just on fire. She was with it. And I was singing "Praie the Lord!" inside, not only for her, but for what my students were hearing from her. At the end of the time, we split into three groups and were able to pray for each other and for the students and continue in conversation. After cell group the member continued to bless us by treating us to lunch at Sizzler (which is not cheap for Thai people). It was the first time any of my students ever had the opportunity to eat there! And it was wonderful because the conversations about Christ and faith continued. One of the students is really struggling with his Buddhist faith and his new desire to discover what God has to offer. The older member kept encouraging him to just act on faith. After THAT, we continued to just have fun together and we went bowling! That was just my students, me, and the Philipina missionary teacher who is part of our cell. And after THAT, 2 of those students chose to come also to English service. It was an amazing day.

Wednesday was my last day of class at Santisuk for this session so we went out for ice cream afterwards. I invited my friend Nan from church who was unable to come to cell group because she was visiting home. She asked if P Pom (the older member) did a good job translating and I said she did, and then I turned to my students who had been there and asked if she did a good job. I guess they hadn't been previously listening to our conversation, so they didn't know we were talking about translation. My student said, "Oh yes. She answered all the questions in my heart." AMEN! He didn't even have to ASK the question for God to use P Pom to answer them. These two students (who are dating) are both taking monumental steps forward in trusting God. It's so beautiful to watch! AND they volunteered to take me around during Songkran (the New Year festival that I was worried about in my last post)!!

God is so good. I've been here for 6 months now and had gotten kind of discouraged with the lack of growth and just how everything was. So it is such a blessing that God has allowed me to see Him move here. It's exactly the reason I came. And it's wonderful to get to watch this unfold right before my eyes. I feel so so blessed and excited about what is to come.

BUT in order to stay here, I need a job. This month is the last month that I am guaranteed income. And I have been praying that God would show me where HE wants me. I am happy to say that I am completely at peace with whatever that is. It would be difficult to go home and be clueless as to my next steps, but if that is where he wants me, he will provide. It would not be admitting defeat; it would simply mean that my time here is done. And though that means I won't get to see those students continue to grow, it would mean that I must trust God to "bring to completion" the work that he started in them. And I do. I trust him completely. But one wonderful thing that happened this week is I had an interview for a job at the sister school of the one I'm currently at. It it a much bigger and better established school than where I am. Not only that, but I would be under the supervision of a good friend of mine. In fact, it was he who interviewed me. We had an hour long conversation about what jobs were open and what each entailed, and I actually began to get very excited about maybe teaching Social Studies (world history and geography) to 10/11/12 grade students. It would enable me to learn more and then get to share my knowledge with the students. I think there is already a foundation for what to teach also, I wouldn't be completely lost like I was when I came to my school. The main issue with the former teacher was that every lesson was lecture-based and the learning wasn't fun and there wasn't much retention. I've found myself already brainstorming projects and ways to make it interesting, incorporating assignments I've had to do personally in the past. The job is not mine though. There are others applying. And I may or may not get called for a second interview and at that point I would have to present a demo lesson. I've never had to do that. My school was so desperate for a teacher that they hired me without knowing if I was any good. And to be honest, I don't think I'm very good with kindergarteners. I mean, now I know how to relate with them and I love to play with them, but teaching them is a whole other story... and it's not a fun one! Anyway, back to my interview.. I am completely at peace with whatever happens. If I don't get the job, I have one more application to go through for a part-time Spanish teacher. But if no job becomes available, I won't take it personally. Of course there are older more experienced and more qualified people for these positions. And if they get the jobs, then perhaps it truly is time for me to come home for a new adventure. I'm okay with either. I just want what God has for me. :)

Okie doke, I think that leaves us on a better note than last time, right? More news to come.
Love you all.

Remembering Christ on this day,
Tracy

No comments: