Translate

Thursday, February 26, 2009

Fresh Air

Today was a good day. A beautiful day, if you will. But I will begin with yesterday, because of that, I have not told you yet. So yesterday was our first day of Immigrant LA, and we were extremely bored. She taked for hours with few breaks. But she did say that she would and she hated that, but she had to give background. I guess pretty much every oher class is going to have a site visit now, so I suppose that's alright. Most of our grade in that class is going to come from a huge project we do. We have to do a study on an immigrant community in LA. We must write a paper and give a presentation on what we learn. I'm not looking forward to the academic side of it, but I am excited to learn about life. Lydia and I hope that Boyle Heights can be categorized as an immigrant community, because we'd both really like to get to know our neighborhood and the neighbors and even Juanita better. After all, she is an immigrant; she'd be the perfect person to interview. I guess I'm excited for this class. I'm definitely not happy about the book though, it's hecka boring. And we have like 50 pages of reading for each class. Blegh. But whatever. I'll do it. After class yesterday, a bunch of us went to Hollywood to go to a thrift store. I found nothing worth buying. But such is the life of thrift store shopping! Then Lydia and I jetted out of there to go meet Luis for our English practice. We went to the grassy area/fountain by the outdoor starbucks. It was SO beautiful! And we got to hear a little bit more about his life and his job. After that, we went straight to Alice's restaurant again. At dinner we talked a little bit about Lent and what people were giving up. I decided that I would not give anything up, but take on the practice of reading my Bible everyday. I have been doing horribly at it. And I'm finding that I'm extremely frustrated by the fact that I do not know how to study the Bible. I want to know it, really know it, but all I've ever done is simply read it. I'm finding I'm hungry for substance, not fluff. I'm tired of trusting other people to teach me something important. I want the true Teacher to show me something new. So that is my hope for this season of Lent. To learn to really read and study the Bible, to find something new and applicable in every reading. So yes, after dinner, we went again to Brianna and Bethel's for worship and fax machine. I realize I need to memorize more songs, so that I can play up there on the rooftop without hindrance. Alicia had the beautiful idea to begin telling life stories every week. I think it will be a wonderful opportunity to get to know each other on a deeper level and am super excited to commence.
Today was not all that bad at my internship, granted I didn't do much again today, I had a completely different attitude. I think it has a lot to do with the fact that both yesterday and today I started the day by listening to worship music. It just puts me in a completely different mindset, and I see the beauty in everything rather than the negative.
So here are my prayer requests: that I'm able to follow through with my Bible goals so that I may know better the heart of God, that this new class won't be boring or too complicated, for me and everyone else here who is doing a lot of self-examination. I cannot even think of anything else at the moment. I'm listening to worship music again and am finding that I'm getting lost just thinking about my Lover. :) I don't suppose that's a bad thing. But really, pray that I may fall more in love with my Savior and that I come to know Him better through His Word.
I pray the same for you.
Your sister,
T

No comments: